Sometimes, small cracks appear on drywall for various reasons. That is very unpleasant, because the appearance of decoration is severely damaged, while plaster and paint just slip off. Moreover, cracks on the drywall can increase with time and lead to deformation of the entire construction which is already unsafe for human habitation. Therefore, you should not ignore this flaw even if it is very small.
Preparation of a Crack before Fixing
A crack should be widened to make the next layer of putty cover easier. Remove carefully the remains of the putty from the problem area until the drywall surface appears by using a sharp putty knife or chisel. Widen the crack removing the damaged and peeling pieces.
If the surface was painted, use the same tools to remove the paint along the crack edges and carefully remove all debris and dust. Give a final touch with a primer coat that fits the putty well using a small brush.
You should patch the crack in the wall after its preparation. You should follow the recommendations in the following order:
- Apply the putty to the problem area and make sure that there are no bumps or dimples anywhere;
- Stick a scrim tape to the putty to the joint place;
- Wait until the primary coat of the putty is dried out completely. As a rule, it takes 24 hours. Now apply a priming coat to the flaw and wait for it to dry out.
- Apply a coat of cover putty by using a wide putty knife;
- Polish the uneven surface with flint paper;
- Paint the surface or put up the wallpapers.
Even though, the gypsum board is a universal finishing material, there may be a number of problems with the drywall and the frame. These nuances should be known in order to diagnose them in time and eliminate deficiencies. Follow the above-mentioned advice on how to fix cracks in walls for your best results.