Natural pest control is a vital part of preserving the environment and preventing the death of unintended animals. Pests are all around us. In the air, carpets, cupboards and furniture, we share more of our resources with these tiny critters than we may realize.
If you take a look in your kitchen cupboard, you’ll likely find a variety of insect poisons. Multiple bug sprays for mosquitos, ants, flies and cockroaches, each equally harmful to you and your family. Unfortunately, when we find pests in our homes, we often don’t stop to think about the detrimental effects of the pesticides we spray willingly into the air. Instead, our primary focus is just to get rid of them, and we can understand that! But, there is a less invasive yet equally effective way to control and manage pests in your home.
Natural pest control is by far the best approach in every regard. Not only does it protect the environment, but it safeguards your family and pets from toxins as well.
Old Island Pest Control prioritizes natural pest control fort wayne in, so give them a call for all your pest management needs.
Remedies For Every Pest.
Finding a solution that works best for your particular needs can take time, but there are many remedies you can try to find the most effective one for you. Try these environmentally friendly solutions for the following common pests:
Your first line of defence should be to eliminate attractants. Keep counters free from crumbs and sticky substances, ensure food items are properly sealed and take away their access to water. If the ants continue to persist, try the following natural remedies:
- Soapy water – keep a spray bottle of water and detergent handy and spray ants when they come out.
- Home-made ant bait – soak a few cotton balls in a solution of one litre of water, one teaspoon of Borax, and one cup of sugar. Place the bait in a container with small holes for the ants to enter through and place it where the ants congregate most. The ants will take the bait back to their nest and eventually die.
Cockroaches often go unnoticed, but when they multiply, you may find more in your house than you would like. The best practice to prevent cockroaches in your home or apartment is to keep it as clean as possible, particularly in bathrooms and the kitchen. If all else fails, try the following:
- Catnip – a natural cockroach repellent, catnip can be used around your home to effectively keep cockroaches at bay. Leave a few sachets of catnip around your house or boil it to use as a spray for behind cupboards and other hard-to-reach areas. Only use catnip if you do not own a cat!
- Boric acid – place on top of cupboards and other high areas around your home. The roaches will take the boric acid back to their nest and die. Be cautious when using this remedy as boric acid is toxic by mouth, so keep it out of reach of children and pets.
Silverfish are attracted to dark and damp environments, so you will most commonly find them around the plumbing throughout your home. Of course, your best defence is to remedy any excess moisture and declutter, but you can also try the following:
- Silverfish trap – wrap the outside of a small glass container for the silverfish to climb into. Since they are unable to climb smooth services, they will be trapped inside where you can drown them.
The One Shoe That Fits All.
There is one broadspectrum natural remedy that can be used – Diatomaceous Earth. This natural substance can be used inside and outside to control a variety of pests.
However, some infestations go beyond a DIY approach and require professional natural pest control services. Thankfully, Old Island Pest Control is a leading pest control specialist in BC that prioritizes environmentally friendly operations.
So, keep your home pest-free and your family safe from harmful toxins, and contact us today to request a free estimate.