Many of us have had problems with mold and mildew. And for some, it can be a recurring problem in our homes and other living spaces. Mold testing portlandoregon is one key way to keep your residence free of mold and mildew. So common is the recurrence of mold and mildew that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has provided guidelines for the minimization of home moisture and problems associated with it.
Control Mold in Your Residence
Here are some tips to control residential moisture and minimize the recurrence of mold and mildew.
- Know the Problem Areas in Your Home.If you’ve had mold or mildew problems previously you are already aware of the rooms or spots where the problem may recur. Regularly check these areas, especially in times of warm and humid weather or after major rains.
- Dry Moist Areas Quickly.Don’t let moist or damp areas stay wet. Dry them out as quickly as possible to keep mold at bay.
- Use Proper Home Ventilation.Make sure your home has good ventilation. Use electric fans or dehumidifiers in problem areas like basements, kitchens, and bathrooms.
- Look Outside Your Home.Make sure water is draining away from the outer walls of your home. Also, keep your gutters and drains clean and repaired.
- Consider Investing in Mold-resistant Products.Mold-resistant drywall and sheetrock are available. In older homes, updating these products can work wonders.
Remember, in order to prevent the recurrence of mold, it is important to reduce moisture and humidity. If mold does occur, clean it up promptly and correct the moisture problem at its source. Dry and ventilate wet areas of your home within 1-2 days of becoming wet in order to prevent mold from forming. For additional help with tougher problems, do not hesitate to call a professional.